Oct 31, 2012

Other salads will be jealous!

Those of you who haven't had a great salad are truly missing out. I'm not saying this because I always make good salads, and I'm not saying this because I think salads are the key to losing weight (cause they totally aren't). But they help.

I've heard "Salads are so disgusting!" What? No! Salads are pretty much my favorite things as well as a fantastic way to use leftovers. Leftovers? Yes, leftovers. Those mushrooms that are a little past their prime? Salad. That 3 day old chicken breast? Salad. Two carrots? Salad. Veggie side dish from last night? Salad. Mashed potatoes? Okay, not that.

One of my all-time favorite salads. Watermelon, Feta, Mint, Arugula. Mmmmm....


In my Food production class we learned about basic compositions of salads. They split a salad into four parts, but in my experience, not every salad has to have any or all of these things: Base, Body, Dressing, Garnish. But again, salads are like the ebb and flow of Brahms 3 or the Rhine river, there are no salad laws and no boundaries!

Base: gives definition to the plate and salad (could be a lettuce cup)
Body: the main ingredient(s)
Dressing: should be used to enhance the flavors of a salad
Garnish: why not make it pretty, even if it's just for yourself. You should enjoy this!

One day a week I will buy enough produce to last me through the week or so and after I've used about half of the veggies for what I had planned, I usually have some fresh left to do whatever I want with. Today I got a little creative with my salad. AND I had just purchased a new salad dressing that is DELICIOUS and well under my "90 calories per serving" rule.

My 2 rules for salad are:
  • Use the proper amount of dressing.
  • Season with salt and pepper. 
If you follow those two things, you should be golden. I have found that seasoning a salad makes a BIG difference. Try it out!

I'd like to share with you what was left in my fridge and what I did with it. Inspired by the Naturally Fresh Ginger Dressing (found in the produce section).


Asian Chopped Veggie Salad
I got a yield of a little more than I could eat, but I finished it two hours later, so adjust yours to how much you'd like to prepare. Use all ingredients as little or as much as your heart desires. Just cut everything to about the same size so you can fit each piece on your fork at the same time. Green onions would be good in here. I didn't have any

1 large carrot, grated (could be chopped small if you don't have a grater)
2" piece of cucumber, 1/4" dices
about 5 cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
1/3 green pepper, 1/4" dices
1-2 Tbls ginger dressing
salt and pepper to taste (I didn't need any)

Mix. Enjoy.

I decided to leave the chicken separate because it tasted pretty good. But feel free to chop it up and toss it with everything else.
Another salad I've been making recently: 
Roasted Pear Salad

Roast a pear in the oven with a little lemon juice and agave. Place on top of spinach tossed in 2 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper. Your choice of nuts, dried fruit and cheese. Here I used toasted walnuts, craisins, and a yummy cheese from Trader Joes because that's what I had. It is super delicious with gorgonzola or bleu cheese melted on the pear! Drizzle a little balsamic or balsamic reduction on top, Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment