Nov 22, 2012

Healthy Turkey Day Tips

Today is a day that should be full of joy and thanksgiving. And I know many of you are with your loved ones today, so I'll keep this brief and to-the-point.

On a day like today, you can allow yourself to have a little treat. Here are some suggestions to treat yourself without going off the deep end.

1. Just a little. If you have a buffet-style thanksgiving like my family, just take very small amounts of everything. This way, you won't overdo it on one thing and you get to try everything. This isn't my favorite suggestion, but it works for a lot of people.
2. Fill your plate. With veggies. Pick the BEST vegetable option on the spread, and fill your plate half-full of these veggies. Then do one quarter of your plate with turkey or protein and whatever else you want for the last quarter.
3. Skip the bad stuff the first round. If you have no-nos like mac and cheese or scalloped potatoes, skip them the first plate. When you go back for seconds you can have them, but since you'll likely be full, you won't take as much.
4. Offer to bring a healthy dish. If you're family isn't catching on with your recent health craze, offer to bring a salad, fruit salad, veggie side dish, or turkey breast. You can also have them help you make it, that way they get involved in your success!
5. Get outside! On a beautiful day (like here in ATL), we take advantage of the morning or afternoon by taking a walk with the family. Burn off that pumpkin pie! It'll help you feel a little less guilty, I promise ;)
6. Be thankful. Tell your family and friends how much you love and appreciate them. Sharing love and compassion will improve your health more than you think! Be thankful for yourself too! I am thankful that I have made the decisions to be healthy. I am happy that I am on the road to a healthy future!

I hope you all have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment