Dec 16, 2012

Heart Disease and Nutrition

They are directly correlated. It's pretty scary, but it's true.

You know what? The top killers in this country, Heart Disease, Cancer, Diabetes, and Stroke, are all influenced by a person's nutrition. Of course, there are a number of factors that add up, but eating habits and exercise are a big deal.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about my diet and how I'm probably not taking good care of my arteries. The holidays are a time where I allow myself an extra cookie and keeping them in the freezer or out of sight doesn't always help. I've got to do better! Here's a quick tidbit that will help you think twice about your french fries or cheese addiction (mainly talking to myself here).


These pics might be off-putting at first, but hang with me. It's about to get real.
The chemical process that happens in your arteries is probably too boring for the most of you, but I find it quite interesting. I'll spare you. Basically, when you eat the bad stuff, it leaves behind this "foam" which bursts and leaves behind debris IN YOUR ARTERIES. Gross. This can build up over time and cause plaque in your arteries.

When you eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly, reduce stress, don't smoke, your arteries will look like the first one. Clean, firm, healthy.
When you eat high-fat foods (food with lots of saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol), your arteries are more likely to start to build up plaque. This plaque directly, yes, directly correlates with heart disease. If the plaque becomes too thick, you can get a blood clot, heart attacks, and strokes! Ah!

The takeaway: LIMIT fried food, high-fat meats and cheeses, pastries, cookies, cakes, butter, oil, margarine (and other added fats). Get regular exercise to give your heart a good workout. Keep your stress regulated. Get regular blood tests to see where you stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment